Friday, August 25, 2006

Windfall


Had the pleasure of seeing Son Volt http://www.sonvolt.net last night with the gentleman that introduced me the music in the summer of '97, I believe it was. The show was in the Discovery Theater at the Performing Arts Center here in Los Anchorage and it was a nice little venue to see such an organic, shredding rock band. They opened with about 5 songs I had never heard before and the fact that the sound man hadn't dialed the front of house sound yet made the vocals a bit muddy and overpowered slightly by the guitar.

As the show went on, the sound got better and they began to play some of their earlier songs that I'm more familiar with and they really started grooving. Their bass player played a traditional finger style and was whaling on his pearl Fender Jazz bass. The sound became more rich and when they would change gears and play a slower acoustic-ish tune, Jay's rich, soulful vocals really stood out. I need to get their new album because the songs they played from it were great.

I enjoyed the show and was thankful that they came all the way up here to treat us to some live music. Alaska surely isn't known for an amazing music scene. During the show I noticed, from our lofty perch in the balcony, that in the third row there was one of those Girdwood-hippy-scooter chick dancers totally ruining the show for the folks in the rows directly behind her. It would have been incredibly difficult for me to not ask her to kindly stop her earth-mama beaver hippy scooter dance if I was sitting behind her. Fortunately, I picked seats that fully complimented The Guru and my persona's: front row aisle of the balcony... low profile with an easy exit.

Kudos to Son Volt for making our Thursday night.

"May the wind take your troubles away,
May the wind take your troubles away -
Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel,
May the wind take your troubles away"

No comments: