Monday, October 02, 2006

Time Has Come


This Friday is my last day at work (woohoo!) before I start a new job on Monday. Nothing like not missing a beat, eh.

Speaking of missing beats, I've been missing a few on the bike recently but remedied my jones for muddy riding on Saturday. It was the first crystal clear fall day in a while and the sky was a beautiful blue set against the bright yellow birch leaves. As I gained elevation and neared the Glen Alps parking area, Flat Top was set against the clear sky after being hit with Termination Dust. I rode from my house near sea level up to Flat Top via the Powerline trail from Prospect Heights and made note afterward that my ride had 2,800 feet of climbing. To say is was muddy would not do the conditions justice. There were parts of the trail that had running water and others where the mud was so deep and thick it would nearly stop you in your tracks while climbing.

I didn't get too muddy on the way up - it was the descent that did it. By the time I got home I was literally caked with mud. Mud was everywhere: the back of my neck, splattered on my face, caked to my lips, in my ears, up my nose and although I was wearing eye protection, I even had a couple of mud nuggets stuck to my eyelashes. And Fango was a mess. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the machine and looked forward to the next chance to be like a kid again and get as dirty as possible.

Autumn has been nice and I'm looking forward to the big changes that will be coming soon. Enjoy the weather where you are and if you can, get out in the dirt and mud before (depending on where you live) everything is covered in snow.

3 comments:

ehyde said...

Gotta love that cold mud and the T-dust. I wonder how the dome trail is right now?

bosskat said...

Perhaps I'll head up there this weekend... I'll let you know. Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

Remember the scuba divers' trick: leave a few big bottles of water in your trunk. The sun will warm them while you are off doing your thing. When you get back, you have nice warm water to rinse off the sand (or whatever).