Friday, June 16, 2006

PR, Bitches... PR


Last night there was another Moose Run time trial. My previous best time was 25:16 over the 10 mile course in 2002 - the summer before the "accident". During my warm up, my right hip was feeling really tight and it felt as if my right leg was running at about 60% power. It started messing with my head and I was getting really nervous because I had already paid for the race and they were just about to post the start list. Luckily, after getting off the bike and stretching, it started to feel a little looser. I had a GREAT mountain bike ride two nights earlier and I felt like I was getting fast again. I told my buddy Clay when we were parting ways at the end of the ride that all I wanted to do was break 25 minutes in the Moose Run and I'd be happy... 24:59 and I'd be happy.

So I rolled up to the line feeling better mentally than I had in my warm up and I was off. I hit the turn around in 11:30 but I knew the way back would be tough. The slight hills would take a little more out of me and there was a gentle head wind. As I approached the line I was giving it all I had as I watched the seconds tick by on my computer. My heart rate hit 185 and I rolled across the line in... 24:59. The race organizer recorded my time as 25:02 and that's o.k. because I know better. I didn't beat the shredders that blazed the course in under 23 minutes but I was very happy with my performance. It was one little personal victory and a Personal Record to let me know that I'm back, baby... I'm back.

1 comment:

bosskat said...

thanks... :)