Friday, May 26, 2006

Nostalgia


For some reason, I'm very nostalgic. Certain songs tug strongly on my heartsrings reminding me of sad or joyous times gone by, I'm deeply effected by almost any kind of anniversary, and when I think of missed opportunities that will never again get a chance to be realized, I can physically feel a pang of sadness in my heart. I think I got it from myMother and my Auntie Moie... and it's not a bad thing. They were/are forever remembering to reach out to family and friends to let them know they were/are thinking about them on important days. I still always remember to call friends on their birthday. Even old friends like Jeff Jarvi, my best friend from kindergarten to 6th grade - though I haven't spent time with him since the mid 80's.

I have dear friends that are like family and we've all been close for roughly 20 years. We've been through it all together - the best and the worst. My brother Brian and my Anam Caras (soul friends) Max, Bobby, Kev, Todd, Tony, and Rick... It's not very common for people that formed friendships in their youth to be as close as family this "late" in life. It's our tight bond that I believe gives us each strength even when we're not together - the knowing that a brother is there just in case.

I was the last of the group to get married and I was in all of their weddings in one form or other: Officiant, Best Man, Groomsmen, Usher. I made sure that they were all in mine. Although it was a day I was blessed to marry the woman of my dreams, it wouldn't have been as amazing as it was without them.

Here's to good friends, family, and the magical times we share on this ride.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a sweet potato pie. I love your writing. Love to Mrs. Bosskat and the Bosskittens.

bosskat said...

Thanks... that means a lot coming from you. The idea of common strength that I have with my friends origninated with my family, most notably my siblings. Love back to you!

Anonymous said...

I would say that you have no idea how much I rely on you, despite our distance, but clearly you do. A great photo of a great day. Just looking at it I can both recall the beautiful occasion and practically feel Maigh's coordinating presence about to demand we rush off to attend duties at hand! Love to the Houlihan Clan!

Anonymous said...

Living in the limelight
The universal dream
For those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.
Living in a fisheye lens,
Caught in the camera eye.
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend.
All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players:
Performers and portrayers,
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage.

That's what I was thinking . . .

bosskat said...

I like what you've done there... Are those lyrics to a song? If so, it must be a pretty cool band :)... thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Jt surplus riverside ca Listrx phentermine teen jobs Sports of 3000 bc Zyrtec mountain view wyoming Hummer replicas call center software Photos of comic in swimsuits Keyword valium and alcohol Tupperware in the dishwasher Free+home+insurance+maryland+owner+quote