Monday, May 22, 2006

What a Weekend




Following the recent theme of my blog, which Bobby pointed out stands for "Bike-LOG", I'll do my best to bore you with a recap of last Saturday's road race around Bodenburg Butte (although these pics are from a downtown crit a few weeks ago). It was a big success for me and an even bigger success for my old friend Tony. The 12 lap, 82 mile race began innocently enough with the group rolling out nice and easy on the chilly morning north of Anchorage. Tony and I increased the pace only slightly and we got a small gap on the group. We decided to see what we could do with it and before we knew it, the group was out of site. After three laps, I was unable to keep the pace Tony was pushing because on Saturday he was 2/3 animal. As Tony raced on, I tried to recover a bit and thought I was going to have to join the group when I noticed that two riders had broken away and had a good gap on the main field. I joined them and we worked together for the rest of the race and ended up having about a 4 minute lead on the field by the end of the race. Tony was on fire and he beat the three of us by 8 minutes! I tried a sprint for second place but started a bit early and got third place by one second. That put Tony's team - Team Alaska - in first, Team Kaladi in second, and I got my team - Team Alaska Waste - a "podium spot".
Later that night at 9:00 we had a soccer game and needless to say, my legs were a bit tired. By the second half I was o.k. and we won 5-4.
Sunday I cut down 10 trees in our backyard and raked leaves unitl my shoulder was about to pop. Another soccer game at 3:00 on Sunday and I was DONE. So, there's that. Check back in about a week or so to see what's up... That's about as often as I can do this thing. Until later, keep the rubber side down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done! Tony was clearly not the only animal on the prowl that day. Can't wait to hang in July!!

bosskat said...

Thanks for the kudos and for reading... can't wait to ride with you in Colorado!!