Friday, April 21, 2006

Nerves of Canned Asparagus


Yes, the opposite of steel. For one reason or another the first bike race of the season (either a tt or a hill climb) makes me nervous, even if I already have an idea of the outcome based on how much time I put in over the winter and how many unnecessary lbs. I have yet to rid myself of from the dark months. It makes me nervous because the truth is about to be told and although I have an idea, I still don't know for certain... The good thing I have been telling myself is that even if I'm off of my desired pace, it's only April and by June I'll be feeling much stronger and hopefully faster. Of course, this is something I try to get myself to start thinking in December or January but somehow the time seems to drift with sporadic focus. This year I'm trying to focus on the long view and aim for my fitness (and confidence) to consistently increase throughout the summer, fall, and into the winter, unlike in years past where I've had a good June and then let all the miles and hard work fall away by August. So, nerves or not, I'm still going to go out and have some fun... 'cause that's really what it's all about and even though I've got the uncertain-night-before-nerves, once I'm on the road and the clock is tickin', the fun has begun.

No comments: