Monday, April 17, 2006

One Little Victory


Last Friday night my son and I pulled into the parking lot of the neighborhood pizza place. I went in to pick up our order but it wasn't quite done yet so I went back to the car to kill the three to five minutes. I was shuffling through too many mix CD's trying to find something for us to listen to and he says, "Dad... does that sign with the blue arrow on it say 'Please Use Other Door'?". I said, "You know it" and he says, "Yes!" and I got to thinking about how cool it is from my perspective being able to watch him learn how to read and get excited about it... for him beginning to make sense of all the seemingly jumbled letters that are everywhere. Last year in kindergarten he knew all the letters/numbers/colors/shapes/sounds, etc,. This year he doesn't have to say, "... but I can't read". He just needs a bit more assistance and before you know it, he'll be a readin' menace.

1 comment:

bosskat said...

ouch. (grin)